Holy Trinity Clapham
Holy Trinity Church is a Grade 2* listed building at the north eastern edge of Clapham Common. MBA worked with the church’s Living Stones Project to propose a series of alterations and improvements to the church, to increase its visible presence in the city, to improve accessibility and the internal organisation, and to make the building more useful and flexible as a resource for the whole community.
Tree canopies were raised to the south and east of the site, a hedge removed, and level access provided at the west end. A planning application was made for a new extension at the east end of the church to provide a space for the growing congregation and for education, meetings and exhibitions.
Holy Trinity Clapham is important in national and world history as the church of the Clapham Sect, the group of worshiping members of the church, led by William Wilberforce, who amongst other campaigners secured the passing of the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833 which abolished slavery in most of the British Empire.
The stone clad extension is separated from the existing church by a glazed ambulatory allowing free flow and movement from the church into the mew meeting rooms.
- Clapham, London, UK
- Project Architect
- Marcus Beale
- Job Architect
- Heather Shepherd