Wimbledon Windmill sails againFriday, 11 November 2016 / Conservation
Wimbledon windmill, a high value heritage asset and grade 2* listed building, now has its sails back thanks to renovation carried out by Reading millwrights and building conservationists, Owlsworth IJP under the direction of Marcus Beale Architects. The project, funded by local donations and the National Heritage Lottery Fund completed on 9 November 2016. It involved re-cladding the tower, over a designed substrate which takes account of the high wind loads, and reinstalling the sails, one of which broke off due to a shear force in the block, the pin which holds the sails together. MBA have advised on the windmill since 2014, preparing a conservation statement which pointed out that the mill was clad in metal for most of its history, and suggesting this as an alternative, a radical step too far for the conservatives of Wimbledon. This is MBA’s fourth completed project for the Wimbledon and Putney Commons Conservators. Others have been the Information Centre, Mill Cottage, and the new flat at the Richardson Evans Memorial Pavilion. The Wimbledon Common Act of 1871 forbids new building or new enclosure on the common land, which belongs to everybody. No land which was unenclosed in 1871 can become enclosed, and no land which was un-built can be built upon, unless the new structure can be taken down within 48 hours.
- Related Project