Here are some articles concerning the MBA architects in London, Wimbledon on the topic of Projects
Designs are progressing for an extension to the east end of Holy Trinity Clapham, London, William Wilberforce’s old church. The detailed of this religious architectural project’s proposal will be shown here soon.
To the right is a view showing how new meeting rooms could offer an exciting, engaged eastern facade for the church, echoing the materials of the Grade II* Listed building but deploying them in new ways to create the impression of a floating structure rising from the ground.
The new building, an extension of the original church, will also up-light the existing east end, giving greater prominence to the pedimented east elevation.
MBA have been appointed architects to a new residential project in Wimbledon. The multi-million pound project involves creating a series of spectacular rooms and extensive landscape works including a series of water features, taking advantage of the sloping site.
The Library at the London School of Pharmacy was formally opened on 9 December 2009 by the Vice-Chancellor of the University of London, Professor Sir Graeme Davies. The re-ordering of the library has been welcomed by staff and students, footfall has increased by 40% since the refurbishment, completed in a contract period of only 15 weeks.
The photo shows Professor Anthony Smith (Principal and Dean), Mr James Gemmell (Honorary Treasurer), Mrs Michelle Wake (Chief Librarian & Head of Library and Information Services), Professor Sir Graeme Davies (Vice-Chancellor of the University of London), Lord Tim Clement-Jones (Chair of Council) Photo © School of Pharmacy.
A new private office for a senior partner of a major European hedge fund is nearing completion in Wimbledon Village, London. The strikingly modern building is in a conservation area, and includes a number of measures to improve its environmental performance including timber cladding, planting, solar shading and renewable energy.
A new sports pavilion for King’s College School at Raynes Park has been submitted for planning. The building’s location, identified by the head groundsman, involves no loss of playable pitches, as well as a grandstand view of the playing fields. MBA worked with this idea to design a wedge-shaped building, carefully adapted to the path of the sun. The roof is a solar farm of photovoltaic panels generating 20% of the building’s energy requirements, fed back to the grid when the pavilion is not in use.
The new library for the London School of Pharmacy has reached practical completion, and is being prepared for student use. The project involved remodelling the existing space including the introducing new roof-lights, new floor wall and ceiling finishes, and the provision of new book-stacks, study carrels, reception desk and study areas. The library is zoned acoustically, and highly absorbent materials are deployed in key areas to create zones for quiet study whilst achieving visual openness. The contractor was Parkeray.
MBA’s conservation arm Stow & Beale Conservation Architects are carrying out a feasibility study for English Heritage at the Dover ‘Secret Wartime Tunnels’, a system of tunnels, now over 1km long, originally cut into the chalk cliffs in 1793, brick lined in 1810, and extended during the second world war to form a combined HQ for admiralty, army and air-force, complete with an underground field-hospital.
The tunnels were used for planning and directing ‘Operation Dynamo’ – the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force from Dunkirk in 1941 – and later for the invasion of Europe in 1944. Such was secrecy, those working in the tunnels did not know of their extent, access was allowed on a need-to-be-there room-by-room basis.
During the Cold War, the tunnels were upgraded and re-used as a Regional Centre of Government, before being declassified and handed to English Heritage in 1995. They are now a major visitor attraction at Dover Castle, and are to be represented as part of a regeneration programme aimed to make seaside towns thrive through improvements to heritage and tourism.
MBA’s specialist conservation arm, Stow and Beale Conservation Architects, has been appointed to direct a major conservation project at the Chapter House of Westminster Abbey for clients English Heritage.
The London School of Pharmacy have selected MBA as architects for a major renewal of the UK’s only dedicated library of pharmacy. The new facility will be a bright, modern, humane space for study, group work and research, incorporating the latest principles of sustainable, holistic library design. Work is due to be carried out in summer 2009.