- Humane habitation
- Successful built results
- learn – understand the place
- listen to users, clients, authorities – what are the issues?
- be open and accountable
- imagine – including the obvious
- draw, refine, redraw – be responsible for design
- gather a skilled team and motivate them
- identify risks and manage them
- manage construction professionally and fairly
- deliver a good result on time and budget
- monitor results and support buildings in use.
- a city is an act of collective imagination
- resources follow ideas
- love what you do not know in order to understand it, a virtuous spiral
- value-add in practical, lateral thinking
- buildings are flexible
- dare to dream
- a site has a history, poetry, living experience, value: visible and invisible
- be buildable, practical
- listen to the construction team
- improve the service.
- rich designs pared down to lasting essentials, encouraging lively inhabitation in unexpected ways
- successful, popular, challenging spaces that enhance dignity of life for those who inhabit them
- the sound of a happily inhabited building
- sustainability and choice in future
- chaos and order in balance: doing enough – serendipity
- natural lighting and ventilation
- low energy, climate adaptive buildings.
- user appraisals before and after
- energy use designed and constructed
- performance of the building in use.